Saturday, January 24, 2009

"January Afternoon" ( Watercolor )


Lately, I've been getting more and more requests for Watercolor classes. Though I've done a fair amount of those in the past, it seems like Oils are the more popular medium and have pretty much taken over. Personally, I love Watercolors too, so I've started scheduling some of those classes again.

Although it's not (and wasn't meant to be ) a "carbon copy" of such, it was definitely inspired by some of my recent snowshoeing hikes. I wanted to try and capture the crisp Winter air, along with the evergreens and birch trees.

The only 3 colors used for this were Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre. Careful mixing gave me every hue and value I needed. It doesn't get any simpler than that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I did a birch tree painting today!!! Not as good as this though...first time attempting them. Mine is of the autumn season. Red leaves :)

Wilson said...

Well, I guess it's true what they say,......"great minds think alike". lol Funny how we were both doing the same subject. Are you going to show it on your blog? I'd love to see it. Oil or Acrylic?

Anonymous said...

Acrylic, yes I actually was going to post it this AM...but my camera's batteries died!! They are in the charger as we speak lmao. I'll try again soon so you can see it.

Dawn