Friday, May 28, 2010

"Chickadee On Cattail" 10" x 20" Oil on panel




I've had this design in my head for a few days now, after seeing a photo of another bird on a cattail stalk. It wasn't a chickadee and this painting looks nothing like the photo, but it definitely planted the seed of the idea.


Also, I wanted to do something different with it, in terms of the format. Therefore, the "mat" is actually a border which I painted with Acrylics. By doing this, I was able to "extend" the bird's tail, leaf and stalk forward, giving it a very pronounced 3-dimensional feel.


I've done this type of theme many times over the years and there's no doubt that it is popular with my customers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well its popular with me, my favourite kind of birdie!! Love their little "chirp song" chicka-dee-dee-dee LOL.

Unocchio Vecchiaccio said...

Another good one, Willie ... and not "for the birds" :-)

achala nupur said...

i loved it too.....
the bird appears so real n u seem to gaze it endlessly..... :)

Good work Mr. Wilson !! :)

Amy said...

Wilson, it DOES look like the bird is sitting ouside there, waiting on something. I like the 3-D look, as it is different and refreshing. You've also got such great detail in the bird. :)

Wilson said...

Thanks, Amy. I love painting birds anyway, which I'm sure you already know! lol