Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Moonlit Sea"


Since most landscapes tend to be "daytime" scenes, I like to throw in a "nightscape" once in a while. This is one I did in a class very recently. Because night scenes are rather monochromatic in the colors, the values are the important factor. The key is in getting the overall mid-tones established so that the lights and darks can be balanced with them. Although there are still strong light and dark contrasts in this piece, the majority of of it is mid-values and the subtle increments between those.
This was a simple color palette comprised of Ultramarine Blue, Dioxazine Purple, Ivory Black, Titanium White and just a touch of Cadmium Yellow Pale ( which yielded the green for the eye of the wave when mixed with the blue )
If you want to try something different and give yourself a challenge at the same time, try a night scene!

13 comments:

Jayray said...

Absolutely beautiful as usual. I love this piece. Thank you for sharing it. JoAnne

Wilson said...

Thanks, Joanne. You're welcome!

Anonymous said...

I really like these night time paintings :) Very moody in a good way.

Wilson said...

It gives me a chance to show my "dark" side!!! lol

Unocchio Vecchiaccio said...

Thanks Willie... makes me feel right at home ... I love it

Anonymous said...

Hahaha!!! Your evil Wilson :) I knew it!

Dawn

Wilson said...

You're right, Dawn. To the core!!!

Anatole said...

Awesome. Would be fantastic to watch a video of you painting it. =)

May sound silly, but I'm most impressed by the far away reflections. I find it very hard to do soft straight lines without messing up the canvas... =)

This is the most close of a night I've got: http://twitpic.com/iyvwo ...lol... (btw, it looks much darker in "real life")

Maybe if I cut off the cadmium it would be colder.

Keep the good work!

Wilson said...

Anatole, I tried to pull up your link, but it wouldn't respond. Therefore, I can't view it.
If you'd care to, send me an attachment through my e:mail via my website.

Anatole said...

e-mail sent. =)

Unknown said...

Absolutely fabulously nightly!!!! How I wish I could watch you do it!!Why don't you make a video of this job? It will give us all an insight into night sceneries, especially to get the mid values in a practically monochrome painting!
B.Narayanan

Wilson said...

That may not be a bad idea. It would definitely be a good lesson.

Ramzi said...

my goodness what a master piece http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/rameez-haider.html