Monday, August 31, 2009

"White-tail Doe"


For whatever reason, I awoke this morning with an idea for a painting. It was just a mental image of a deer standing in a meadow, but I could see the composition my mind. I knew I had to paint it. So, after breakfast and a couple of errands, I leafed through a few reference photos I had on hand and got started.

This is the result of a fairly detailed Acrylic underpainting with Oils over the top. Because of it's fast-drying nature, I can get a lot of detail with the Acrylics. But, I still love the richness and vibrancy of the Oils. With this approach, I get the best of both worlds.

We have a lot of deer in the meadow behind our house, so they provide plenty of inspiration.

I've had a very busy class schedule for the past couple of weeks ( nearly every day ), so my intent is to spend some time on my own paintings this week. I'm not sure I'll complete a painting each day, but I will definitely be at my easel, as I have some other ideas I'd like to work on.

I have a true compassion for any and all animals, so I feel privileged to be able to capture them on canvas.

2 comments:

Unocchio Vecchiaccio said...

Now that was a sweet dream! Nice going Willie ... your life and ours will be better as you keep on dreaming those sweet dreams.

Unknown said...

Just beautiful. The colors and the light on the grass. The deer's expression. Such lovely work!!! I look forward to your next painting. :-)